Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Tacoma Tile Contractor | What I Learned From Steve Jobs

I'm going to let you in on a personal secret - I love to read. I read a lot. Mostly when I'm not working (joke). But I love it. And I love to read all kinds of stuff. When Steve Jobs' biography came out, I decided I would like to read it. And I'm glad I did - it gave me a lot of insight into this company, the way we do things, and some ways that we can be better. So I thought I'd talk a little bit about them today.

Lesson Number One | All Tile Companies are Not Created Equal

Now, before I get too far, I wanted to let you know that I already knew that. I've worked at many different companies over the years, and it's an understatement to say that some of them valued workmanship more than others. That's why I started this company - to provide the type of service and skills that can make people's home look beautiful for years.

But, despite my knowing that, I've found it hard to differentiate myself from others upon first glance. That's one of the hard things to do with service related businesses, is set yourself apart. I can tell you that we are the best Tacoma tile contractors around, but if everyone else is saying the same thing, how do you know?

Steve Jobs in his biography did a great job of demonstrating that it is possible, though I wish he would have owned a tile business so I could see exactly how he would have done it. He took a business that had relied on commodotization (marketing on price) and showed a company could be successful by relying on great products and great service (like we do). This book excited me about thinking about new ways we can show people we are the best Tacoma tile installation company around.

Lesson Number 2 | Wanting Perfection is Not Bad

There are some people in this industry that have one goal in mind - get into and out of your house as quickly as possible. If a cut's off by a few inches or the tiles don't line up just right or the tiles are a little dirty, so be it. The job is done, the money is made, get out of the house.

But we are different in that respect. We take pride in a job well done. We want you to be able to show off our work when we're done to whomever comes over to your house. And to take that much pride in something means we are going to do whatever we can to make sure the job turns out the best it possibly can. Steve Jobs didn't rest until his products looked and performed exactly the way he wanted, and we'll do the same. We want to be more than just another Tacoma tile installer. We want to be (and believe we are) the best.

If you need some tile work done and want to have a final product you can be proud of, give us a call today. We'll come over, take a look, give you an estimate, and show you why we are the best tile installation company for the job.

No comments:

Post a Comment